Tuesday, July 17, 2007

esciquette

my friend erica and i love to make up new words that combine old words to describe a common, as yet un-named...whatever. our most enduring invention is gratiwarding. i think once you hear that word you are forced to admit--it really captures the concept of something that is gratifying and rewarding better than either word had previously captured it.

this weekend i went to d.c. to visit erica. we created a new word: esciquette. esciquette is proper behavior on escalators, i.e. standing on the right side and WALKING on the left. escalators were invented to help you walk faster! not to help you continue to stand on your lazy asses as you are carried upwards at an infuriatingly slow pace. get it together, america! this is a universal rule! a gross violation of esciquette may involve standing on the left side of the escalator with your rolling suitcase. not cool, friends. not cool.

of course, on the way down i saw a rachael ray billboard in which she had combined two words (can't quite remember which) to form a new word to describe food. it really made me concerned that word invention has been co-opted for evil.

2 comments:

Tom said...

When I first heard them saying esciquette, I thought they were saying "Eskicking" (like a combination of Escalator and Ass-Kicking) which I took to be a reference to the punishment incurred if one is in flagrant breach of esciquette. I feel like if esciquette is a word, eskicking should be a word too!

Also, I suspect you like "gratiwarding" because it has "ward" in it.

Tom said...

I'm sad cause there hasn't been any nellog posting in forever!